Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Mmmmm.... Nong Shim Neoguri Ramyun...

Just had my lunch of my favorite ramen Nong Shim brand Neoguri (don't know if "neoguri" is the flavor in Korean, or what).
I have long been a fan of these ever since I found them in my neighborhood corner store in NYC. When we lived in DC, I was buying a couple of them at our local Korean grocery and the guy at the register felt compelled to warn me about them. "You know these are hot, right?" "Yes, I know." "No, they are very hot..." "Yes, I know, I've had them before." "OK [skeptical look]."
The "seafood" flavor is sort of a vague fishy taste, along with seaweed, overlayed with a LOT of red pepper. The ingredients include such delicious items as cuttlefish and "sea tangle". Yum. The flavor packet is about 2 1/2 tablespoons and I would bet that 2 tablespoons of that is red pepper. This stuff is excellent for clearing out the sinuses. The noodles are "udon" type, which are thicker and chewier than your basic ramen kind. A friend of mine who spent some time in Korea says these are extra good if you lay a slice of American cheese across the top of the soup to let it melt. I'm not so sure about that, I still haven't tried it that way. Another serving suggestion is to wait until you have a minute or two left of cooking time and crack an egg in the pot, Japanese udon-style. That's pretty good.

All I can say is that this is one of those foods that you will either like or not, right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment